What do Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs do?
Determine eligibility of persons applying to receive assistance from government programs and agency resources, such as welfare, unemployment benefits, social security, and public housing.
- Answer applicants' questions about benefits and claim procedures.
- Interview benefits recipients at specified intervals to certify their eligibility for continuing benefits.
- Interpret and explain information such as eligibility requirements, application details, payment methods, and applicants' legal rights.
- Initiate procedures to grant, modify, deny, or terminate assistance, or refer applicants to other agencies for assistance.
- Compile, record, and evaluate personal and financial data in order to verify completeness and accuracy, and to determine eligibility status.
- Interview and investigate applicants for public assistance to gather information pertinent to their applications.
- Check with employers or other references to verify answers and obtain further information.
- Keep records of assigned cases, and prepare required reports.
- Schedule benefits claimants for adjudication interviews to address questions of eligibility.
- Prepare applications and forms for applicants for such purposes as school enrollment, employment, and medical services.
- Refer applicants to job openings or to interviews with other staff, in accordance with administrative guidelines or office procedures.
- Provide social workers with pertinent information gathered during applicant interviews.
- Compute and authorize amounts of assistance for programs such as grants, monetary payments, and food stamps.
- Monitor the payments of benefits throughout the duration of a claim.
- Provide applicants with assistance in completing application forms such as those for job referrals or unemployment compensation claims.
- Investigate claimants for the possibility of fraud or abuse.
- Conduct annual, interim, and special housing reviews and home visits to ensure conformance to regulations.
Related Jobs (Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs)