What do Training and Development Specialists do?
Design and conduct training and development programs to improve individual and organizational performance. May analyze training needs.
- Monitor, evaluate, or record training activities or program effectiveness.
- Offer specific training programs to help workers maintain or improve job skills.
- Assess training needs through surveys, interviews with employees, focus groups, or consultation with managers, instructors, or customer representatives.
- Develop alternative training methods if expected improvements are not seen.
- Organize and develop, or obtain, training procedure manuals and guides and course materials such as handouts and visual materials.
- Present information using a variety of instructional techniques or formats, such as role playing, simulations, team exercises, group discussions, videos, or lectures.
- Evaluate training materials prepared by instructors, such as outlines, text, or handouts.
- Design, plan, organize and direct orientation and training for employees or customers of industrial or commercial establishment.
- Monitor training costs to ensure budget is not exceeded, and prepare budget reports to justify expenditures.
- Select and assign instructors to conduct training.
- Schedule classes based on availability of classrooms, equipment, or instructors.
- Keep up with developments in area of expertise by reading current journals, books, or magazine articles.
- Supervise instructors, evaluate instructor performance, and refer instructors to classes for skill development.
- Coordinate recruitment and placement of training program participants.
- Attend meetings or seminars to obtain information for use in training programs or to inform management of training program status.
- Negotiate contracts with clients including desired training outcomes, fees, or expenses.
- Devise programs to develop executive potential among employees in lower-level positions.
- Screen, hire, and assign workers to positions based on qualifications.
- Refer trainees to employer relations representatives, to locations offering job placement assistance, or to appropriate social services agencies if warranted.
- Develop or implement training programs related to efficiency, recycling, or other issues with environmental impacts.
- Evaluate modes of training delivery, such as in-person or virtual to optimize training effectiveness, training costs, or environmental impacts.
Related Jobs (Training and Development Specialists)